Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    no change ignore her she is being petty and trying to control things.

Downloads
    Uploads

What to do when my future mother in law tells her son that our bridal

registry is too expensive? My husband told me recently that his mother had mentioned that our bridal registry is too small and really too expensive.She emailed my mother and mentioned that the registry was too smallbut did not say anything about it being too expensive. My registry starts at $24.00 and the highest at $90.00. My fiance has a home and I rented a home and we did not need alot. We chose our china and our crystal Should I change my registry for I am now stressed even more!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Girl its your registry and the prices you've got don't sound like too much. Your mother in law needs to get over herself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't listen. It's YOUR wedding and YOUR registry. is NOT high!!! Your mother in law will just have to suck it up and get over it. Plan your wedding and registry around you and your husbands needs/wants noone elses. It's not their day, it's yours!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see a lot of people telling you to forget about it and that it's not you MIL's business. While on the surface I agree with them. Really, is this something you want to fight with her about? Do you really feel that strongly about it?

My guess is she's thinking about her friends/family/guests that will be coming and she knows their buying habits and what they'll be comfortable with. A lot of people (esp older ones) do not like to give money or gift cards.

If there's really nothing else you want to register for consider putting on some items you could donate to charity or something. If it really does bother you though try talking to her about it.... best to start off the relationship on good terms.

Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, do not change it. Leave it as it is. If your gifts start at $24.00 it isnt too expensive at all. If people dont want to buy from your registry they can give you money -----at least you registered for some things.
    As for your Mother in law -----------just let it go. dont mention it to her and dont talk about it. You dont need the stress before your wedding and it is simply just silly for her to be bringing it up. Just ignore it and tell your husband to do the same--not worth hassling over

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its ok, but you could put some items below $24 on the list. Picture frame, dishtowels, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, and you act as if the statement and the phone call were never made because...

1) everyone is entitled to an opinion and is also allowed to express it
    2) On the scale of offenses, it's a non issue, really.
    3) If that stupid little thing stresses you, then you are looking for reasons to be stressed...you have control of your own stress level whether you believe you do or not.

keep your registry the way it is....never mind the MIL's comment...she will make many in the coming years...and so will your Mom and those will PO your husband.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would not worry, if you started at $24 that is fine. Most people go with gift cards anyway.
    People will get you what they want to give anyway, and they will stay in their budget. Some people like to give the same thing to everyone, easy for them and fair and square for multiple relatives who tend to keep track of what you gave to each one of them. My Mom back in the day gave a good quality tea kettle, copper, from the high end department store.
    But your Mom in law might have a good idea, some people like me like to get a box and fill it with stuff. A selection of $24 dollar items would have me loving it.
    A friend's daughter got hung up in tiny details, and did not know what to put on a registry. Her hubby to be had forbidden her to register thinking that was trolling for gifts, but was told by his mother in law that he was being a stupid jerk, how would people know what they needed? He changed his mind a week before the wedding. I gave her spatulas and measure cups, etc. I never got thanked, so I guess she hated it, but why them put it on a registry? Nobody else had touched the little stuff. Maybe they knew her. Found out later that she and really stupid hubby would have preferred big ticket items, sure, I'm gonna go buy them a big screen tv, I had never met either one of them, the bride's Mom was a co-worker. They thought that Right until her new hubby went back to work the day they moved, left her alone in the apartment and told her to have dinner on the table when he got home. She had nothing to cook with, and called her mother to cry on her shoulder about it. Her Mom was unsympathetic, and told her so.
    So, to each his own. If you want china, put china on the registry. And try to put several items of all price ranges, and let people know gift cards for that store are great, you will buy what you did not get after the wedding. You might someday be glad you asked for 2 salt and pepper sets.

Downloads
    Uploads
    that hag, if she cant spend the $24.00 to get her son and new wife a once in a lifetime gift, she should stuff it. its your registry, not hers and its stuff you guys want/need not her. what the heck, does she want you to register at kmart? talk to other ppl first and ask if you think there should be "more selection" on your registry. not having enough items is one thing, but her complaining that your stuff is too expensive? thats so rude i cant believe anyone would say that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast