Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What can i do to prepare me for my future? I want to serve in the marine

corp or Armybut dontno how 2 prepare? Since i was 4, well more like since I was able to think i've wanted to serve my country, im 11 (2 months away from 12) I have dreams of the military but how can i help myself. I want to be in the infantry and know that live war won't be like a video game. please help me out on how i should prepare

and by the way, to all of you who said i had bad grammar and that I couldn't spell, I appreciate your concern, but it's just because I didn't have enough room and I needed to get off right after the question I had written; I'm actualy best student at spelling and top number of percentage on language arts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First off, start paying attention in your Language Arts and spelling classes, or learn how to use spell check. The military doesn't want people who can't communicate properly. Two, quit reading comic books and start reading books on American history, or better yet, books by Mark Twain, Washington Irving or Thoreau. Reading book's like these will impress the hell out of people. Third, set your sights higher, there is more to the military than just being a target.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Read about Pat Tillman and get over it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Read about Pat Tillman and get over it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just stay healthy and keep your record clean. They will do all the prep work for you. They don't just throw you in without training and prep work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Serving in the military is like anything else, it has it's pros and cons. The important thing is to look at the long term.

Being a Grunt/Infantry may be fun for some, but unless you're interested in law enforcement when you get out of the military, you don't have much to offer civilian employers. If you're interested in doing 20 years, being a Grunt is hard on the body, and chances are your body isn't going to last 20 years as a Grunt.

I suggest doing four years as a Grunt with the GI Bill as part of your contract. Use it when you get out to go to college so you can get a real job. Keep in mind that even though your contract is up, you're still part of the IRR for eight years after you contract. So there's a possibility that halfway through your college, Uncle Sam can call you back into service. I've seen it happen.

You can always go the ROTC/Officer route, but not only is your initial enlistment longer, you can get called back at anytime. I've seen that happen as well. That's why they had officers in their 50's dying of heart attacks while in Iraq.

As far as being in combat, it's nothing like a video game. The people who design that crap are about as detached from combat as you can get. The vast majority of combat is being bored out of your mind, but that doesn't sell well.

If you're still interested in being in a combat arms MOS in the US military, your best bet is to play sports, stay in shape, do well in schoo, and stay out of trouble. Even if you change your mind and not go military, you'll still be off to a good start.