Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A male dog can be neutered any time after eight weeks of age. A few years ago, most veterinarians advised waiting until puberty hit at about six months, and some still make that recommendation. Talk to your veterinarian about what's best for your dog.

But you have to note that there are lots of good health and behavioral benefits on your dog after he gets spayed. Here's the link:

http://dogtime.com/neutering-your-male.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    this is something commonly done by the humane society in ga. they don't allow adoption before spay.

Junior Member Rachel:tvetvolunteertt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will this affect my dog in the future?

Ok, my puppy, Sophie was taken from her mother along with her three other litter mates and they were all placed in a foster home. I adopted her at about three months, but they said she needed to be spayed before we adopted her. I thought this was TOTALLY INSANE! they spayed her at 8 WEEKS! Is that bad? Will it affect her health or behavior, etc in any way? She is now about 1 year!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dogs spayed at a young age are at risk for certain health factors, although there is a lot of controversy over this among breeders.

Here was a study conducted concerning early spays and the benefits/risks
    http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

I haven't heard of psychological impacts, however, and early spays are very common, especially when adopting from shelters

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, not at all, I just adopted an 8 week too two weeks ago and they spayed her. But, make sure u don't wet it or else it will get infected. Check twice daily for foul smell or damage, and make sure she doesn't chew at it. If she does, then get her an Elizabeth Collar. Trust me. lol Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently found out that kittens are spayed as early as 8 weeks and its actually an incredibly healthy and routine thing to do. Its more about their weight than it is their age. I'm gonna guess (and this is only a guess) that its the same for dogs. As long as they meet the weight requirements for the procedure, their age doesn't really matter. Since she's 12 weeks old, she should be headed to the vet for her next round of shots. While you're there, you should discuss this with your vet.