Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should I go long distance to secure our future?

I am half Japanese, half Australian, attended an international school in Tokyo, and after graduating a university in the US, returned to Tokyo. My parents moved to the US a few years ago but will return to Tokyo in a year or two. So for the past three months I have been living with my Japanese boyfriend the two of us in a one room apartment in Tokyo. He is a university student. I am teaching English.
    Since being without my parents in Tokyo got me nowhere career wise, my parents gave me a proposal: I come to the US and live with them, and apply to law school. Attend law school in the US, they will pay for all my living expenses, tuition, everything. After getting the degree work in Tokyo as an international lawyer.
    But that will mean giving up my life in Tokyo living happily with my boyfriend. My boyfriend says we can marry eventually once he graduates and says he will go long distance with me if I want to pursue this opportunity. We can live together once I return to Tokyo in 3 years, probably in a better apartment. He is encouraging me, and was even a bit disappointed when I said I wanted to give up this opportunity because I couldn't bear the long distance.
    The other thing is I have culture shock in the US and was severely depressed being away from Japan in college here (even had to go on meds). I fear I might be very unhappy doing a law degree here, even with the support of my parents. My parents aren't worried because they are confident they can provide all the support and care i need to finish my degree. It IS a great opportunity that only a fool would give up and would secure my future with my boyfriend if I get a degree in the US (my bf and I, we are currently scraping a bit to make ends meet in Tokyo, though very happy together. A law degree would really make our future together brighter).

What would be the best thing to do in this situation?

Downloads
    Uploads
    You said it!
    Law degree = brighter future!