Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should I get my future in laws a present before our wedding?

My parents are awesome, they've always loved and supported me my entire life and have always been there for me. They have also accepted my fiance as their own, and I could not ask for a better relationship. For their gift, we are paying for the parents albums from my photographer ($250, an exact replica of our wedding album only smaller) and will maybe get them an engraved picture frame or something.
    On the other hand, my fiance is not very close with his family and they have made no effort to be involved in our wedding planning whatsoever. Not only that, but they haven't even extended an invitation to me to come over or anything since we've gotten engaged, and are just nasty people in general.
    My question is: are we still supposed to get them some sort of present, even though they CLEARLY don't deserve anything? And can we give my parents their present at the rehearsal dinner but not give his family anything (btw, my parents are footing the bill for like 90% of the wedding, except for wedding rings and invitations, which we're paying for ourselves. His parents have not offered one red cent). OR, should we just present the bridal party with gifts at the rehearsal dinner, and just give my parents their present later, when his parents aren't around and won't feel offended?

Thanks for your comments!

Junior Member KingoftheCaribbean's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    doesn't sound like they are interested in your wedding. I wouldn't bother with them. I would give your parents the gift at a later time. It's your wedding and you should be focused on making the best day of your life not to have to worry about them and their ignorance. They should be the ones trying to get you a gift. You have enough to worry about. I wouldn't bother trying to make them happy when they clearly don't think about your feelings. Congrats and Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In your particular case, I would get them a nice picture frame and call it a day after that. I wouldn't tell them you're paying for your parents' album, just play it off as something they purchased on their own, and invite your in-laws to purchase one as well if they'd like (it sounds like they won't, though). Even though it's tempting to not get them anything, I still would just because they're attending (at least, I'm assuming they are). Also, you never know what could happen in the future. maybe you guys will eventually break the ice with them and become close, and you'll look back and be happy you got them that frame as a gift. The rehearsal dinner is really the best place to present the gifts, and then you'll definitely need to get them at least something.

Hope that helps!