Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it a self fulfilling prophecy?

For those who don't know what a self fulfilling prophecy is, it's when you unconsciously have a positive effect on your prediction in an experiment.

Let's say that I have a theory that I cough more after 6 pm (for example) so I decide to test this theory. Any variable that is controlled by the tester has the chance of becoming a self fulfilling prophecy. So now when I test it, I might unconsciously cough more after 6 pm, proving my theory to be true when in actuality the time of day might have had no effect. Understand? Those who knew what it was from the beginning, sorry for that little detour.

Now to my point. I'm a Christian but as hard as I try, I can't stop questioning my faith and everything I believe in. So I'd like to get other opinions. Has anyone ever wondered if the bible is a self fulfilling prophecy? Because everyone is saying now a days that everything in the bible is coming true. Has anyone ever considered that we as Christians are unconsciously bringing this upon ourselves because we believe they're going to happen.

I'd appreciate thoughtful respnses agreeing of disagreeing with this theory. Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, i know that the prophecy concerning Israel's return to their land is not a self fulfilling prophecy. It really happened. Now, as for the prophecies about things that are going to happen either during the tribulation period or right before the rapture, yes, they could be happening right now, or, they may not be happening right now. We will have to wait and see.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, i know that the prophecy concerning Israel's return to their land is not a self fulfilling prophecy. It really happened. Now, as for the prophecies about things that are going to happen either during the tribulation period or right before the rapture, yes, they could be happening right now, or, they may not be happening right now. We will have to wait and see.

Junior Member ChristiantheAtheist's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "If you will it, it is no dream."

In some cases, people are actively trying to bring about the end times - witness the oddball alliance between Zionist Jews and Evangelical Christians.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You have posed an interesting and intelligent question. First, it's normal for everyone to question their faiths; it makes you a better Christian when you can understand and validate your faith and beliefs. I do not think, however, that the worship of Jesus Christ, or reading the Bible, or meditating, or prayer constitute self-fulfilling prophesies. Perhaps if last night's prayer sticks in your mind, you might be reminded of what you promised and make such an effort, but that's not a SFP.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Study Preterism...it would be good if people would not glom onto the darkest interpretation - for it may very well be true that will drag us down a dark path from which we cannot escape...

....just notice all the confusion wrought about by the gloom and doom end-of-the-worlders....what force would desire that sort of confusion to be in the world? Do you think that God would desire it???