Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Scared about my future after uni?

I'm doing a product design degree at uni. But i'm quite sacred that i won't get employed in it after uni, almost convinced that its hopeless. I'm getting the general drift that its really rare, and i've been doing some of my own research on job sites and that, and i keep coming up empty. I also hear of stories from people who have done the product design degree, and are now doing something else. I just feel really bad about this, can anyone convince I’m not doing dead end course, where I’ll hit a brick wall when I graduate. Do you know of anyone who is doing a product design degree?

If my job search after graduation does fail, i've still got a degree right? Anyone who did a degree, but is now doing something different, if so, what is it and is it still well paid? I think I just want to know, if it does go down the drain after graduation, I can still end up in a good job, which I can be proud off?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its much easier to get a good job if you graduate with a 2:1 or above.

I'm keeping my address secret in the first instance because most of the jobs are down south and I'm up north! I'll reveal my address details if I get called up for an interview.

If you're applying for a job its important to get the tone right. If its an engineering job, a job that impacts public safety etc, then you need to come across as responsible and not cavalier. You need to try to sell yourself without sounding big headed. The last thing any employer wants is a big headed graduate who keeps making mistakes! For example, saying something like "I am able to identify innovative ideas and solutions that are cost effective and practical" sounds like you're arrogant. Saying "I am eager to identify innovative ideas and solutions that are cost effective and practical" shows that you have the right intentions and priorities. You have to be careful about sounding big headed if you got a 2:2 or less.

You could ask questions here about your CV and covering letter (without giving away specifics).

You may find, as a graduate, that you are overqualified for some of the "student" jobs you used to get.

You could work on developing a good portfolio of your work - something to do in your spare time!

Downloads
    Uploads
    maybe you could branch off into architecture or business or something else you wont have to endure the entire length of the course being post grad