Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

please help. confused about my future!?

I am turning 32 and about to complete my master in architecture at the end of 2010. I was a matured aged student and went back to school to do what I believed what was to be my calling in life.

However, now that I am close to finishing I am having second doubts about being an architect after all. The main reason is that profession is a very lowly paid in comparison to other profession and the majority of the time the work involves countless hours sitting in front of a computer screen. All my life I have been doing outdoor hands on job and I was prepared to do an office job only if I enjoyed it and it was rewarding financially too. Architecture could be satisfying but not financially rewarding.

Now I am faced with the dilemma of wanting to go on to do another course which is in the same field but completely different job and more financially rewarding. I am thinking of doing Construction Management which is another 4 years at uni. But I have to take into account that I will be somewhere 36 -37 even before I start a career. But I think the job will suit me most because it is hands on, outdoor on site and I am dealing with people all the time. Also, graduates start off $15k more that architect graduates and in 5-10 years time they double more in pay packet than architects.

If it wasn’t for the money architecture would be my passion and I have a desire to contribute to better our society through great designs. I have a cousin in the real estate who wants to get into property development and another cousin who is introducing a new building material into our state that has potential. Both of these schemes need an architect but I don’t want to be relying on something that may not eventuate. I come from a poor family and I have done well to get this far. But choosing a career that really isn’t going to make a difference financially it seems like my life will always have just enough money to keep head above water.

I don’t know which path to take and I have a few options, I think;

Option1 is to go and do another 4 years to become a Construction Management.

Option 2, I could use my architecture masters to work as a construction management but I don’t know how viable that is.

Option 3, go on and practise architecture as my passion and surely enough somewhere in the distance future I may be the few lucky architects that actually become financially well off.

If there is any architects, construction management or anyone in a similar field I would be so happy to hear from you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am sorry, I am not architect or construction manager, but I could read that you are really confused.
    I also have no clue about the money, but here in Germany an architect is one of the best paid and respected jobs one can have.
    I see that architecture is what you like doing, and I also think you should gain some working experience. Life-long learning is good, but don't exaggerate. And aren't there student fees? How can you afford that?
    My advice would be: finish your architecture and work in that area. Gain some experience and money. Do your outdoor life in your sparetime. Then try to get a foot in construction management during your work. Maybe you don't even have to study the subject but just learn it by watching and doing.
    Whatever you do, I hope you succeed and are content.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Before you ask this question.. If your not in the field please dont give an opinion .. Also as someone stated some people here have no idea of their own future or cant speak on the subject due to lack of knowing in the field .

Downloads
    Uploads
    way too long. but i bet so many ppl out there dont have a clue about teir future.

Downloads
    Uploads
    dnt worry about it. i kno its hard to make desicions

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not in your field bout would like to put out there that money, though important, isn't everything. If you are truly passionate about being an architect and I don't mean that you just enjoy it but are really very passionate about it, then you will be able to succeed and reach the levels where the rewards are.

However, that being said... Construction Mgmt. can be rewarding as well and your architectural background will afford you an insight that much of the competition lacks. And it may give you the edge to succeed there in a way that you find fulfilling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    me gusta option tres, mi amigo

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't you go back to school at night and work on construction during the day? So go to night school and get the degree you really want. My mother-in-law is 84 and just graduated with a degree in mathematics and is student teaching at a high school. So don't tell me you are to old.

Downloads
    Uploads
    do what your heart tells you to do

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dont Stress yur self
    Jus do wat yur heart
    desires! =]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast