Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Parents/future parents, how would you deal with your child having a mental

illness? Would you neglect him/her? If you were planning on moving and your child, lets say he is 17. He comes to you and begs you to help him with depression(which turned out to be really bipolar disorder) would you keep in your own world and continue ignoring the child and instead focus more on buying a new house? How about if the child has been complaining since he was 16?

Or would you comfort him and actually see whats wrong before you start making plans to move? Would you think the child is lying when he/she would things like "i can't think or do anything anymore" or "this is greatly affecting my college". Would you still not care?

Yeah this happened to me and im 19 now, i finally went to them and told them how much pain this all caused me.

They said "you should have said it was serious"

right............................ i guess they missed "this is very serious, i need help".

I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with bipolar I. I am taking meds now and feel rather normal.

BUT i just started thinking, I think i repressed the past 3 years before January 2008.

I seriously broke into tears when I actually though about it, that my parents abandoned me, especially in a time when I was going through horrible problems with my gf and school in general.

Matter of fact, I remember i came back from the doc back in May and told my dad i was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and that instead of 1 pill a day, i would be taking 3-4 now. He said ok, did you find a job?

Waiata: Let me add a few things. I was going to college for free from a scholarship. Me and family were pretty happy where we lived, and it wasn't a bad area or nothing, they just felt like moving closer to my uncle's house. Even when they knew i didn't get along with my uncle's family but thats another story.

And are you saying depression is a joke and that it had to be bipolar disorder to be a problem?

Do you know what bipolar disorder is? Its like depression with an extra twist. Both make your life hell regardless, so i fail to see that them finding out i had bipolar disorder should have triggered help.

Its not like they are helping right now, even when my doctor and me explained what bipolar disorder is, I had to get that help on my own.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i read your question and it shocked me..

i don't know what i would do if my mum abandoned me. i have no dad so it would really just be my mum..

in a way its kinda happened to me..
    i have been diagnosed with depression. my mum cares about it.. but never really does anything to help me get around it. i even started to self harm. my mums boyfriend finds it funny to take the mic out of me. because i self harm. but in a way its like they don't care. i am 13 btw.. lol

and well..

if it was me i think i would of made a runner.

but it goes to show how strong u are. to of put up with it.