Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My future ex-wife is asking for...............?

OK, here goes:

My wife and I are divorcing after two years of marriage due to irreconcilable differences. We have no kids, no house, and we split up all the "stuff" already. We live in California. We moved out in early May, and split the remaining credit card bill and the other bills.

While married we kept separate bank accounts and shared expenses. She paid the bulk of the bills, I took care of daily expenses, travel, whatever. Sometimes she would need me to pay the rent or something, but.being self employed, she was bringing home about twice what I do. (I'm a schoolteacher.)

I am trying to get a joint summary joint dissolution. She is stalling, and now wants me to "pay back" to her:

1) A $6500 credit card bill I had when we married, that she put onto a interest-free card in HER name (balance transfer) and paid off.

2) $1200 of an old student loan of mine she paid off.

3) $3500 of my car insurance payments she wrote checks for from her account.

4) $4600 of repairs to my car she put on our joint credit card and paid from her account.

Its hilarious that she's extracting these items from our budget. They account for about 5% of the $$ we earned while married. Sheesh.

I'm pretty sure, except for maybe the student loan, that I'm safe here. She's meeting with a lawyer today(I hear), I'm sure to find out if she can recover this money.

Question 1: Could someone tell me if she IS entitled to any of this?

Question 2: Is it worth it for me to hire a lawyer with the amount of $$ we're talking about?

One more thing: She's been sleeping with some dude since we moved out in May. (Maybe before.) Nice. Does this matter if this becomes a huge mess of a legal battle, or does it merely piss me off?

I really appreciate your help. I'm stuck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A good divorce lawyer can make all the difference in the world and in the settlement. You really need to get one. She is meeting with a lawyer, it would be in your best interest to do likewise. Unless you can afford to just give up 15 thousand dollars. A good lawyer can make this as painless as possible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dude 2 things!
    1) NEVER give them time to think it will cost you more each minute
    2) HIRE a lawyer!!!! Never use the same one!!!

Never let your lawyer drag it out, it will cost you more!! Here's a thought. Beings as she made more money that you, why not ask for alimony? Thats what you grew accustomed to wasn't it???

Good Luck!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    i think the only thing that you will have to probably pay back the student loan and the lawyer thing probably not she is just mad and wanting to SCREW you!!!!!! sorry and good luck