Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know how you feel, you must do something because I agree with you, you are in a dead end job. You have intelligence and a fair amount of cash, you must start your own business. I wish I could advise you about the chances of success in the line of work you are in, but I have absolutely no experience in that area. When I was fifty-five years old I was staring at a very bleak future, I had only three thousand dollars and I was delivering furniture for a retail store that sold unfinished furniture, I was amazed at the volume of furniture this store sold. The owner of the store won a radial arm saw in some kind of contest, his wife refused to let him bring it into the house, he gave it to me. I bought a magazine on how to do it stuff, there was a drawing and instructions on how to make a TV, stereo and record stand, I bought a sheet of plywood and made the stand, the store agreed to try to sell it, it sold within eight hours. I now have have my own cabinet shop with two of my sons working there. Its amazing how easy it is to make money if you produce a product with value. Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking for a change of career and worried about future?

OK, at the moment I am working for an IT security risk company and earning £15,000 a year. I have been here 2 years (22 now) and am starting to feel a bit unmotivated due to cancelled reviews and feel like I am in a dead end job. I have politely asked about my reviews but don't want to anger my boss. I know I'm doing a good job as I always produce good consistent work and never let down my boss.

What I do for my job is review the news in all the countries in the world and provide a risk assesment for travellers going to these countries, eg People travelling to Thailand, Ethiopia, Jamaica etc.While the job itself is interesting and engaging, I'm really thinking my job at the company is going nowhere and want to have a job where I can progress and ultimately have a better salary. Earning a salary at the national UK average (£24,500) would be ideal for me as I want to eventually have my own property and get on with my own life.

I only have GCSE and A Level qualifications as well and also have managed to save up over the years £20,000 which I hope I can use as a deposit eventually although I have no chance of getting a decent mortgage (3 x 15,000 = £45,000). I'm still single at the moment and live at home which costs £40 a week. Also, as I come from quite a poor background, I will not get any financial assistance from my parents. I also enter competitions in the free time and sometimes sell my winnings on eBay for some profit.

Anyway, back to my job. I know I have good IT skills and have a good knowledge of current world affairs so was wondering if I can aim for a better job with these skills and climb the employment ladder.

Sorry to waffle, but was just looking for some general advice. Thanks so much for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated.