Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

im taking down my saltwater tank, but i want to keep my live rock for a future

tank, how can i store it? im taking down my tank, im going to be moving in a month or so i just wanna take it down and give everything away except my live rock i have 16lbs and i want to get it because once i move and get settled and get done with my training ill have time and money to start alot better tank then what i have, i know i could sell my live rock for a fraction of what i paid for it, but i would rather keep it, so how do i cure it for storage? one piece had some nice feather dusters that i know will die off which sucks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Buy a plastic storage container about 1/2 again as much as you would need for the live rock to fit. For 16 pounds, you might be able to use a 5 gallon bucket. You can buy these anywhere that sells paint. Mix up saltwater and fill the container partway, then add the live rock. Keep adding water so the rock stays covered. Add a powerhead and heater, and everything but the photosynthetic organisms will be okay. You may want to add a little crushed food pellets or flakes ground to a powder to feed the fan worms.

When you move, you can put your rock and water in 5 gallon buckets with lids or an old picnic cooler.

Once you move and set up the new tank, you can use the containers for other things.