Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member BradPaquinlKeslick's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want to purchase A Papillon In the future what should I expect?

Hi, I live in Canada, and I would like to purchase a papillon in the future. I would like to purchase maybe two, ( I've worked with many animals so I can handle two dogs) is this a good idea? I want to do this because if I leave to go somewhere for a while, and I can't take the dog, I rather have two and also since I want to have two dogs. If I do get two papillons is it better if there both from the same litter? Also how much money would it cost if I bought one from a breeder and/or if I bought two from a breeder. And also, how much money would it cost if I bought one from an animal shelter and/or two from an animal shelter. Where are the best places to purchase papillons in ontario? What are good ways to play with papillons, good daily exercises, what foods they should eat/ diets, and good toys they should play with. Thanks for everyone that does answer I'll be greatly appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Different dogs will play differently. My papillon loves to play tug and fetch.

You could get two at the same time, but keep in mind that 2 puppies is about 4 times the work (and often 1 puppy is stressful enough!). And also when they get older, they'll be passing away around the same time too.

Below is some more information on papillons:
    === ===

WHAT ARE THEY LIKE?

Papillons are great little dogs, I adore them. They are the perfect dog for me, but they aren't for everyone.

*** If you want a calm lapdog or a cuddly dog, do NOT get a papillon. It will not be a good fit for you. ***

Top 10 reasons why NOT to get a papillon:
    http://pap911.rescuegroups.org/info/display?PageID=2924

'Good' versus 'Bad' traits:
    http://www.papilloninformation.com/overview.htm

Papillons have very friendly, adventurous temperaments. From the AKC breed description, "Happy, alert and friendly. Neither shy nor aggressive."

Papillons are very intelligent (sometimes too much so for their own good!). They are in the top 10 most intelligent dogs breeds.

One of the "most trainable toy breeds".

They come in a rainbow of colors to choose from:
    http://www.braylorspapillons.com/colors.htm

And they stay small. The breed standard calls for dogs 8-11 inches. (Over 12 inches is a disqualification from the show ring. Over 11 inches is a fault in the show ring.)

They are a very demanding and dependent dog. They may not like to cuddle, but they like to be around you and they LOVE to play. Paps will literally come up and launch one of their toys at your face to get you to play with them.

They are also tricksters and will find ways to try to manipulate their owners. If they aren't supposed to have something, they'll try to make it look like they have one of their toys and hide the "forbidden object" behind it.
    My pap also tricked my parents poodle when I was dog-sitting for them a few months ago. She would run to the door and bark so the poodle would drop the toy it had to check out what the commotion was about, then my pap would run back and steal the dropped toy.

Papillons NEED to be stimulated. They are not dogs that can be left to their own means. They need training and thrive when they have a "job", such as obedience or agility. (If you want to get into agility, they are the top choice in their height category. They can even beat border collie times on some courses, but due to size difference, they will never be competing against border collies.)

Also be aware that they are athletic dogs and can achieve things you wouldn't normally think a dog that size can. For example, my papillon can jump high enough to steal things off the kitchen counter. She can jump at least 4 feet into the air.

Papillons do and will bark. They are a vocal breed and are alarm barkers so if they hear something, or if anything seems out of place, they see it as their job to alert you to it. (I have found the "thank" method works best for handling barking. When the dog barks, call it to you and say "thank you", then give the dog a treat or praise. It will eventually learn to only bark a couple times to alert you, then it will stop barking come to you for it's reward.)

Papillons come in 2 varieties, the "butterfly" (papillon) and the "moth" (phalene).
    http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breedinformation/toy/papp.html

(Of course, every dog is different. You may find a papillon that is calmer than average, or one that is less vocal than average, etc.. This is just the 'general' information on them.)

---

GROOMING

Paps require regular grooming, but it's not extensive.

In addition to the regular dog stuff (clip nails, brush teeth, etc), they need brushed a couple times a week. Also, the hair between the pads on their feet gets long, so that needs trimmed, which I do monthly. I use a bristle-brush on the fur.

Here is some information about grooming papillons):
    - http://www.papillonclub.org/Education/grooming_trimming_the_papillon.htm

---

WHERE TO GET ONE?

You can find a reputable breeder by attending some dog shows and agility competitions. You will find papillons in both places and can get some good recommendations for quality breeders from there.

Papillons are starting to show up more commonly in puppymills, so be wary and make sure you are getting one from a reputable breeder.
    Here are some helpful links for identifying good versus bad breeders.
    - http://www.wonderpuppy.net/breeding.htm

If you are okay with getting an older dog (which can have it's benefits, like it's already housebroken, already done teething, likely has some training, etc.), then you may be able to get a dog from a papillon rescue group.

---

COST?

A papillon from a reputable breeder will be typically be no cheaper than $750. I've found prices are usually closer to $1000-$1600 for a pet. (Although I've seen pet-quality puppies as cheap as $450 and as expensive as over $2000.) Females tend to be pricier than males.

---

FEEDING

Feed them a high-quality dog food. Here are some examples of good foods:
    * Artemis Fresh Mix
    * Blue Buffalo
    * California Natural
    * Canidae
    * Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
    * Eagle Pack Holistic Selects
    * EVO
    * Fromm Four Star
    * Innova
    * Merrick
    * Nature's Variety
    * Orijen
    * Solid Gold
    * Taste of the Wild
    * Timberwolf Organics
    * Wellness
    * ZiwiPeak

Or check this website; the 4, 5, or 6 star rated foods are all good foods. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

---

SOME BOOKS ON PAPILLONS

"The Complete Papillon" by Carolyn and David Roe
    (I highly recommend this book.)

"A New Owner's Guide to Papillons" by Deborah Wood

"Papillons" by Jacklyn E., Dr. Hungerland

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow that's a lot of questions but they will need some outside walking for exercise. Cost is hard to say and trying to find two at a shelter at the same time, well good luck. I would get them from a Papillon breeder. If it was me I would also get two females. But they are beautiful dogs. Good luck with them once you find them. Cost in this area varies but they are usually around 300/400 bucks last time I saw any.