Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really want to become a doctor in the future, but to start off, which...

...college is best..?
    im thinking about
    chatham college
    college of st. Elizabeth
    arcadia college

which has the best science program

im so stuck..
    st. elizabeth is an hour away from where i live but dont know if its a good school
    im thinking about chatham but its 6 hours away!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want to get into med school, you want to try to go to the best university you can get into, and which also fits you well, so you can do really well there. I'd probably rank your choices, in terms of academics, as follows: 1) Arcadia 2) Chatham 3) St. Elizabeth. But you also need to look at the schools in terms of fit. If Chatham is 6 hours away, and that's too far away for you, then that's a valid reason not to pick it.

You're in NJ. There are a zillion colleges near you that are good. You may want to look at some others as well, that are closer, if you want closer. In NJ, I wonder if you might not like Georgian Court U? Rutgers has a women's college, if your academics are at that level. It's Douglass College, and might appeal to you. But it's part of a larger, co-ed university, so I don't know if that's a fit.

In NY, there's The College of New Rochelle, and Russell Sage College. In Mass, there are a lot, including Simmons, Bay Path, and Pine Manor. CT has Saint Joseph's College. All of those are closer than 6 hours drive.

The issue with all of those, other than Russel Sage and Rutgers, is that science is not their speciality. That's okay, if you don't plan to major in science (and you don't have to in order to go to med school.) But a major issue is that those schools (other than Rutgers, Russell Sage and Simmons) rank pretty low. You will need extremely strong grades and one heck of an MCAT score to get into med school from most of those. Please speak to admissions at the schools, and ask them what percentage of *all* of their applicants to med school actually get in. That's a telling statistic. You can judge schools based on that.