Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can't see my future... I need advice?

This is coming from an 18 year old girl, still in the midst of pursuing her education.

I feel very helpless about my future. Currently pursuing a diploma in Tourism, yet I can't imagine myself, climbing the career ladders in this field.

I am not an under-achiever, I don't want my life to come and go just like that. I don't want to be that 'normal' civilian, doing that 9-5 job and getting less than a thousand bucks per month.

I want to get good grades, I want to go to the best University, and become one of the best in what I'm doing.

But what can I do about it? I feel helpless. Sometimes, it is not about what you want, it is not about whether you tried hard enough or not, it is, sadly, about whether you have the abilities to accomplish your wants and goals.

My grades, are still a small margin away from what my choice of university would take in. And I don't think I'll make it...

Yet all that lies in my interest, it's not just tourism. It's writing. Writing is my biggest passion.

But dreams and hopes are so near yet so far. Can anyone really aspire again, to become the 2nd J.K. Rowling? Can authors really make a name for themselves so easily? Aspiring to become an author is not a realistic or logical decision for me, my parents would kill me if I did.

How can I be doing something for the sake of societal's realistic demands? A degree is one of the more well crafted frames to career success. If I don't get my desired degree, how do I survive in this tyrannous world where there're only 2 classes- the elites, and the other, the complement?

I don't want to be the complement.

What should I do?

What should I do?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your whole life is ahead of you. You will change your mind many times about what career you want. Go to college and pursue a liberal arts degree. Take as many writing courses as you can. Your teachers will know if you have talent. There are many colleges that can provide you with a good liberal arts education. Talk to your counselor about it. You can combine your interests by becoming a travel writer. Travel brochures, cruise lines, and newspapers employ people to write about their travels. You can also teach lit. and writing classes if that appeals to you. You are being very pessimistic in your last paragraph, Your youth makes you see things as being overly simplistic. There is a place for you and you will find it if you persevere.