Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am thinking of breeding my large breed dog in the future, what can i do to prepare?

Not wanting to breed her this year, or even perhaps next year, she is 2 years old we arent in an immediate rush, we dont want to profit from it but would really like one from the litter we have looked at other akitas and they just arent what we are looking for, we feel it must be one of hers,,, we dont want to be a backstreet breeder it is important we do it right IF we do it! How would you suggest we went about it? would another breeder let us use their stud dog and guide us? allow us to watch over how they do theirs etc. I do not want to put her through anything with no support as she is part of our family and I feel I do not have the experience to do it myself even if i researched everything I needed to know. I would of course get her vet checked hip scored and all the other checks first but how would i go about contacting a breeder and asking them for help, and also has anyone any links to information I can research. Let me make this clear I will not breed her unless I find someone to mentor me so no bad comments please! Nor would I plan on breeding her if I felt I could not provide a life time guarentee for any of her offspring to come back should there be a problem, after care is not my issue, my issue is how I get the RIGHT advice to breed her just once!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I realize you have the best intentions as to breeding the "right" way, and that's more than most people have, so I commend you for that.

However, shelters are FULL of large breed dogs, purebred and mix. You're going to keep one of her pups, but what about the rest? I'm sure you'd go through a lot of effort to place them all in great homes... but, without your pups being born, another set of dogs would get homes that would be just as great pets for people as yours would be. Without your dog having pups, you save a few dog lives by letting them have those homes.

I know this wasn't the answer you're looking for, but strong feelings get a voice today.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1) Get in contact with breed club

2) Show the dog, if it doesn't do well then it ends there.

3) Talk to people at the shows, and find a mentor. They will help you from there.

This gets expensive. You will need to do health screening to make sure that the dogs are not passing on bad genes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1) Get in contact with breed club

2) Show the dog, if it doesn't do well then it ends there.

3) Talk to people at the shows, and find a mentor. They will help you from there.

This gets expensive. You will need to do health screening to make sure that the dogs are not passing on bad genes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Couple of pages you could take as look at if you haven't already:

http://www.akitarescue.com/Should%20You%20Breed.htm

http://www.nylana.org/RRACI/b.htm