Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am a colllege sophmore thinking about my future. Initially I told myself law...

...school was the move for later? However, I feel as if just tld people that because it sounded good. However, I feel as if law can be such a dry field unless your field of law is very specialized. I feel as if my mind is just too expansive for that. I feel s if I would be better working in the community as a social worker or director of programs for domestic violence, drug rehab, etc. I do not want to be in massive debt when graduate with a Bachlors so I definitely do not want to be in debt in law school! The job market for lawyers seems so limited and many JDs have a hard time finding jobs. I want to be able to hopright into action when I graduate. I go to school up north butI really love the city of Houston so it may be a possible location for my ventures after my bachelor's. I do not want to be a low paid paralegal in someone's office. I just feel as if being a "set in stone lawyer" is so lame and my wings are being cut. Others have told me that its too early to think about this but I think I am at a crucial time. I dont want to set my self up doing "pre-law" studies as an undergrad if my heart so I chose a major of communications which i think is flexible because i can use it as a social worker teacher etc... So what do you all think? Any law school students that regret their decision?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Based solely on your question, my advice is: don't go to law school. It's a real grind, and it can be tough for a motivated student. You have expressed a lot of negative attitudes about both law school and the legal profession, so I think you would be happier doing something you want to do, rather than chasing a career just for the prestige of it. Do what you enjoy, and if you decide later on that you want to be a lawyer, go back to law school. You could even go to a night program and work your way through, so that you don't have debt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree completely with Words. I don't regret my law school decision either but law school (the stress, debt, etc.) is absolutely not worth it unless you really want to be a lawyer. Don't go unless you're sure.

Also there's no reason you have to have everything figured out just yet. I have many friends who graduated from college several years ago and have been working "fun" jobs that pay the rent until they find out what their ultimate career goals are.