Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

how to write an ancient prophecy?

I'm writing a fantasy story, and all I need is a little help with a prophecy. i can't put what the prophecy will be about, because I don't want anyone to steal my idea. but if anyone can help me with HOW to write an ancient prophecy, i would be very grateful. Thank you!

Junior Member buzzwater@sbcglobalenet's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ancient Prophecy is just that - Ancient

If its "pretend" make up a short story about the era you are making a prophecy about with minimal changes to the name / names of the situation
    ex: Nostradamus called Hitler - Histler.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, there is no real "correct way" to write a prophecy. The specifics are up to you as this is your story and you'll need to decide such things on your own. There are many ways that other people have done it though: in poetry (Harry Potter prophecy or the One Ring rhyme in Lord of the Rings), in secret coded and hidden imagery (The Da Vinci Code with knowledge hidden in paintings and carvings), in foreign languages, in music and song, or just in straight up plain verse.

You'll need to look at what your own story needs and at the history of your prophesy and figure out what form it should take. Who wrote it? Under what sort of situation (were they a seer normally or did they have a one off dream)? Were they of the same culture as the people reading the prophesy or were they living in a culture totally at odds or alien to those that find the prophesy later? Did the person want to tell the prophesy straight up or did they try to hide it among metaphors so it wouldn't be discovered by just anyone?

Figure out who wrote the prophesy, why, and what their world was like when they did and you'll be a long way toward your goal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, what were ancient times like in the fantasy world that you have created and we know nothing about? Who was the writer and what were they like? Why was it written and under what circumstances? How would he/she have written it?

The reason no-one can help you with this is that it's YOUR fantasy world and it's YOUR prophecy. You need to find the answer in your own imagination.