Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How important was French in the past, present, and the future?

Do Not Tell Me "every Language Is Important" Becuz Even Though It Is True, It's Not The Answer I'm Looking For.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The French language was the dominant language of business, culture, education and society, especially European society in the 19th century. Many well educated people knew French. Also the Norman French invasion had a HUGE influence on the English language that we speak today (i.e. modern English).

But in the 20th century, with the advent of media, music and technology English has displaced French as the most important language of the world. Global business is carried out in English and technology's first language is English.

It is unlikely that French will regain it's glorious prominence any time soon. Chinese might become more important, if China becomes a superpower. However Chinese is not widespread as is English or French.

Junior Member MiamiUniversityRedHawk's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Past-

The French language used to be the dominant language of diplomacy, science, cuture, etc.

The Present:

French and English currently are the top languages of diplomacy and they are used in supernational organizations. French is used by many of France's former colonies in W. Africa as a common language since there are so many regional languages in these nations. The Red Cross uses it, along with other organizations based in Switzerland.

The Future:

I believe that French will always be important, especially in relation to Africa. However, I anticipate Mandarin Chinese and English to be the dominant languages in the future.

Junior Member MiamiUniversityRedHawk's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Past-

The French language used to be the dominant language of diplomacy, science, cuture, etc.

The Present:

French and English currently are the top languages of diplomacy and they are used in supernational organizations. French is used by many of France's former colonies in W. Africa as a common language since there are so many regional languages in these nations. The Red Cross uses it, along with other organizations based in Switzerland.

The Future:

I believe that French will always be important, especially in relation to Africa. However, I anticipate Mandarin Chinese and English to be the dominant languages in the future.