Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How does being in a mental hospital or filing for disability affect your future?

My counselor thinks I could qualify for disibility, she also would like to see me go to a behavior clinic for a little while. What I would like to know is how could it effect my future? Getting into college or getting a job later. Does this type thing follow you or is it kept private?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mostly it is private, but if you want to go to work for the FBI, or work as a nuclear physicist, etc (stuff where they do background checks) there could be some problems. Also, in some states, you may lose your right to own a firearm, depending on the laws. Most states, if you checked yourself in, it would be OK, but not all (maybe 8 have extra restrictions of various kinds). That would affect you if you want to be a police officer or security guard. In Illinois, if you go inpatient for mental health, even voluntarily, you lose your gun rights for 5 years.

One problem with going on disability is it is hard to go OFF disability later, if you do eventually respond to treatment well enough to work full time. The trouble is, you eventually lose your health benefits, and if you can't work steady enough to keep benefits, then you lose access to your meds & relapse. Certain diagnoses, the chances you will recover to the point you were in your teenage years are low - schizophrenia & schizoaffective disorder, it's very unlikely. In bipolar, only 40% of people work AT ALL, and most of those people work part time, so if you are sure you have bipolar, the odds you will be stable enough to work full time ever again for more than a couple years at a time, are low. Some people do, though, but the more episodes you have had, and the more extra factors (abuse? OCD?) the less likely. Major depression is not nearly as disabling as the above illnesses, on average, but can still be really a problem.

You could consider a partial hospitalization program if there are any - you go to the hospital at like 9 AM and go home at like 4 PM. If you aren't out of control (obsessing over suicide, have psychosis, going bankrupt with mania) this is a good option.

Go to nolo.com & order social security disability for more info. This book may be at your library, as well. They have some info online you can read, too. They are self help lawyers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    atm i'm getting disability support pension.. as i have severe anxiety and ocd... suicidal thoughts... at the moment i couldn't even imagine getting a job... besides the part time one i have now... but i'm fairly sure it is kept confidential

Junior Member BLUEROSELovesPs83:18's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    it is private, unless you choose to reveal that. and it would be decrimination to be held back for a job or school due to a disability. actually that can work out to be a plus in some circumstances. schools have grants, or scolorships for those with disabilities. None of my employers knew i had been the hospital for mental health issues.
    just be an honest , hard working person and all should be fine

a bit of advise, i would not loosely talk about your mental health issues, co workers are more likely to give you trouble from it. have confidential friends you can confide in. also find support at school, family , or other comunity groups so you can speak about it at appropriate times

Downloads
    Uploads
    tell her to go hell

mental hospitals are more like torture chambers

you aren't crazy nor depressed

thats what people make you think

depression "crazyness" its all in the mind and its not a disease

you just need to get distracted

get a hobby! seriously
    people who are bored are more likely to be considered "psyco"
    or depressed

when its not true they just need to get distracted

Downloads
    Uploads
    i was diognosed with aspergers a few years ago and i does not make much of a difference

Downloads
    Uploads
    That info is protected by doctor pacient confidentiality

Downloads
    Uploads
    That info is protected by doctor pacient confidentiality