Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How accurate do you think the ultrasound tech's prediction is?

i had first trimester screening done today. i am about 13 weeks pregnant. the ultra sound tech predicted that i'm having a girl. how accurate is this prediction and how do you think she came to that conclusion?

Downloads
    Uploads
    13 weeks is too early to tell. i would wait for your scan around 20 weeks, by then you will know for sure if they get a good picture.

Downloads
    Uploads
    my tech told us we were having a boy at week 11 ultrasound (this was confirmed on all future ultrasounds)... so, techs might be REAL accurate real early...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say if she was confident enough to tell you what you were having then it's possible that she is correct, however they tend to not want to give you the babies gender until you're around 20 weeks as they haven't completely developed sex organs yet. You're probably going to be having another one for progress check within the next couple weeks where they can confirm if it's a girl, I wouldn't buy anything pink just yet.

Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't trust it. It's too early. It could be a boy but you just can't see the parts yet!! My doctor told me that it's most accurate to determine the sex at 20+ weeks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's extremely inaccurate at only 13 weeks. You usually don't find out the gender until anywhere between 16 and 22 weeks. And even then, they will not give you a 100% answer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    thats hard to say, my ultrasound tech said she thinks im havinga boy just by the way the baby was moving and doing things.

i find out in 2 weeks whatim having!

i think if she told you that you ae having a girl then you mot likely are because they have seen alot of babies, but then agan it is very early to tell. so you are just going to have to wait and see!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, a prediction of "girl" is less a sure thing than a prediction of "boy" since it only means that she did not see a penis. Since an ultrasound does not produce high-resolution images in fine detail, it is possible to miss a penis or confuse an umbilical cord for one (my tech warned me that this happens rarely, but it does happen). Also, thirteen weeks is really early for making gender predictions. We happened to catch a "suspcious nub" in our sixteenth week peek, a nub which was likely to be a penis, but I knew better than to rush out and buy blue onesies.

Junior Member ~DueApril7th2011~'s Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok same thing happened to me. I had an ultrasound done right at 13 weeks and the tech said its a boy. But after reading up on the subject the chances that she was wrong is very high. I wouldnt go out buying a bunch of pink til after your ultrasound at 18-20 weeks. But i do hope both our ultrasound techs were right