Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

The future of the publishing industry?

I graduated from college about a year ago with an English degree and want to go into publishing. I have previous internships, good grades, references, and a fairly good resume. I've just been having the hardest time getting a job, and I'm sure that's due in part to the economy. What I'm wondering is if the publishing industry is still hiring full-time entry level editors. I've been told that there's been a lot of outsourcing going on to freelancers and other contract workers.

I think I'm good at editing, but to tell you the truth I won't be totally heartbroken if there's no end in sight to the lack of jobs. I would love it if someone could give me some inside knowledge on the job outlook for editing jobs. If editing doesn't work out, I've been thinking about getting my associate's in nursing, because nurses earn well and have pretty good job security.

Please let me know any info you can!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Right now there probably will not be as many companies out there hiring new workers, entry level or not. It is estimated that the slump will hurt the publishing industry for another 9 months or so. So, while it is possible, it is not likely that you will be hired on.

On top of the economic downturn, the publishing industry is much like the music industry in that-degree or not-you might be no more than a glorified mail-room worker before you get a substantial position.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Right now there probably will not be as many companies out there hiring new workers, entry level or not. It is estimated that the slump will hurt the publishing industry for another 9 months or so. So, while it is possible, it is not likely that you will be hired on.

On top of the economic downturn, the publishing industry is much like the music industry in that-degree or not-you might be no more than a glorified mail-room worker before you get a substantial position.