Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Atheists, do you think there is any truth to this "prophecy"?

According to my superstitious mother, her cousin in England has recently joined a new church. Then yesterday, she called my mom and told her that her church had prophesized that something unimaginably bad would happen to her on October 13, which is two days from now on Thursday. She told me this morning not to go to work on Thursday and didn't want me leaving the house. She indeed knows that I don't really believe in religion, let alone Christianity. She wants to force me to stay at home and pray all day with the rest of the family including my equally superstitious father, whom she persuaded to stay at home from his math teaching job at high school.

My mom is typically like this, very controlling as well as irrational. I don't really want any of this right now. I'm already likely suffering from depression from their condemning religious attitudes. And for some reason, I'm really gullible at this place in time, as my mind is out of wire at this time with constant depression and frequent headaches. I had even passed out for a couple of times, one where while I was driving though I didn't hurt anyone or myself. It was very brief but very wierd. The second time was when I was using my phone in bed and later got up 2 hours later. I've also had 2 auditory hallucinations. I'm going to see the doctor soon, but all these superstitious threats and scares aren' helping me. To be honest, they scare me.

I tried to ask my mom why she didn't ask her cousib more about it, such as how the church knew her name, but she didn't say anything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think it is true, or a prophecy. On the other hand It sounds like you could use a day off just to deal with your health - if you are passing out at the wheel. Kill two birds with one stone. Go to the hospital emergency or local walk-in clinic on Thursday, tell them about how you have been passing out and stuff - because that could be serious, and if it's just stress from your mum then you have a legitimate excuse to avoid her on her special crazy-day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep.She's going to miss a lot of stuff on that day.Sigh,she just won't live her life to the fullest.
    In my opinion,Staying home because of some superstitious=unimaginably bad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What bad thing? Did they put a name on it? Or was it just "something"?

I'll hang on (smoke break). Not an atheist, but there are a lot of things that are supposed to happen, just nothing in particular about that day that I am aware of.

brb 10 min.

EDIT: If you are in England, keep an eye out for what's going on in Iceland. The volcanoes. That might get bad this year. We'll see. Other than that, you may be right, it's just superstition, and you worrying isn't going to change a thing. Worry is only going to make you upset. Tea time? Yes?

Junior Member SirDigbyChickenCeasar's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Um... No. Of course not.