I think the word "atheism" has evolved faster than dictionaries or mainstream public understanding has been able to catch up with it. Currently the Webster if you will amounts to a basic "There is no god(s)" However, I'd like to list a few modern sincerely held meanings that I've found in people:

1.) rejection of the Christian God Specific.
2.) Rejection of a wish granting god but not exclusive of a "creative beginning" or "persistent law" or "Collective consciousness"
3.) Categorization of certain type of religions that include ideas of afterlife, souls, reincarnation, etc. such as Buddhism or spirituality.
4.) Rejection of all things metaphysical.
5.) Rejection of certain things metaphysical such as reincarnation, but holding on to such ideas as objective morality or consciousness as a unique and "otherly" intangible equatable to the divine in much the same way as ancient Greeks described concepts - things existing in a divine place that we connect with, or the creation themselves being "divine."
6.) Rigorous adherence to science.
7.) Rigorous adherence to reason.
8.) rigorous adherence to scientific and rational replacement "mythologies" or "dogmas" for the story of creation.
9.) People who regard the postulation of god as unimportant, irrelevant, or meaningless without a definition of god.

I could think of a few more I've heard people describe their atheism as..

What do you think the future of atheism is and it's current or future definition as the meaning of the word evolves with the ideas we ascribe to it?
I must admit a little pride to be able to upset both "teams." For those upset atheists I'd like you to know that I am an Atheist - Specifically the type that currently rejects all metaphysical things, gods, souls, afterlife, luck, souls, etc. But, consider the above to be somewhate of a further elaboration of a theological position regarding the denomination of atheism.
I do not think that it is safe to say atheists are not interested in organizing. Many Atheist organizations are generating amazing suppport in respect ot the amount and types of organizations out there, financial support of them, political interest - i think Atheists constant involvement in forums like this is proof also - there is interest in Atheism and the Church.