Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Am I legally obligated to tell future employers I'm pregnant when applying for jobs?

I'm 5 months pregnant, and trying to find a job. I know that it has never been on any job applications I have filled out...

Is that information that you are supposed to disclose on an application? During an interview? After you get the job? I don't want to be misleading, and the only jobs I'm apying for are office type jobs, so I wont have to worry about lifting heavy stuff, etc.

Like I said, I don't want to get hired and have them be mad because I didn't tell them before, but I also don't want to get turned down for jobs just because I'm pregnant.

I can still hide the pregnancy, it just sort of looks like I have a "beer gut" lol.

I'm on the border of Texas and Arkansas, (literally!) So I will be applying for jobs in both states. If anyone knows (or had experience with this) PLEASE let me know. 10 points, and thank you so much!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should imagine you are legally and morally obliged to tell your prospective employers everything that would affect your ability to do your job short or long term

They are not obliged to hire you - not because you are pregnant but because you are not capable of convincing them that you are the best candidate.

Convince them !!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Legally you don't have to tell them, but should you choose to withhold that info, don't be surprised if they start watching your time punches and work quality so closely. Legally they cannot fire you due to your pregnancy alone, but many an employer is more than willing to find other minute reasons to can you. And really, starting your employment off by withholding such a big piece of information doesn't speak to your morals and ethics too highly.