Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Will B

Will my friend win this lawsuit?

My friend owns a restaurant in the city. The newspaper reported that the city entered into a contract with a construction company to build a convention center across from my friends restaurant. My friend figured that business was going to increase due to the convention center so my friend leased additional space and expanded the restaurant. A few days later the city announced that the construction company breached the contract but decided not to sue them but to build the center in another part of town. My friend wants to sue the construction company to recover what she spent to expand the restaurant on the grounds that she was a third party beneficiary of the contract between the construction company and the city. Will my friend win?

miss_cris101
    No, based upon the fact that she did this through acting upon what she read in a newspaper, she will not have a leg to stand on. The company can't control what the newspaper writes. The reporter may have misquoted or even been given erronous information.

bl_fkt
    jeez of all the things to sue for what a dork ! how can you possibly sue for that reason ??? its idiocy i wonder does she have restrooms in the restaurant is she going to sue people for using them ?

bloody stupid American culture of suing for all manner of idiocy your friend should be sued for wasting the courts time

ckm0917
    If she don't have any legal documents stating her involvement with that company in anyway then she will not win.

Its like you going out to by 100 electric cars so you can sell them because the news said gas would be $100 per gallon tomorrow. When tomorrow comes the gas is still less than $4. Can you sue the news ?

charles s
    If I were on the jury, no way. Don't count your chickens until they are hatched. No one else can be held liable for your friends unfortunate bad timing.

Pobept K
    tell your friend he better decide how hes paying for all that new space because he has no case against anyone except his greed.

Unless there is pertinent info. that you didn't post, NO WAY.

Sorry,

Wotan

David D
    probably not

Beau
    Looks like I am in the minority.

Very good question - a real lawsuit, finally! I think your friend has a good chance, but there is never a guarantee - look at OJ, juries can do weird things. I am voting for your friend: Good Luck!

Scouse
    No. She had no contract with anyone and therefore no-one owed her any contractual duty. She decided to take a gamble on more space after all someone could have opened up next door and she lost. All she can hope to do is try to increase her turnover as best she might

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast