When I wasn't home a search warrant was served at my house. I'm told by the cops that my idiot brother was holding stolen guns for someone and stashed them at my house. He doesn't live here, just for some reason decided to hide them here. The cops had a list of the guns they were looking for and found them. They than also went into my room and took my safe. They tell me they took it 'cause there might be guns in it (though they already found the ones they were looking for).

When I called them to try to get my safe back, the first detective I talked to told me that there was nothing in it with my name on it but that there were documents with my brothers name on it and that they were going to keep it unless I told him where by brother was (I honestly don't know where he is). I know it's bs, because it's my safe and I didn't have anything with his name on it in the safe. The title to my car and some cameras that I bought at a rent to own where in there and I can prove that the safe is mine.

I called back and talked to another detective and told him that I could prove the safe was mine. He said he knew what was in the safe but still was not going to give it back unless I told him where my brother is. He said he had the right to keep it because it's evidence. I ask him, evidence to what? He said to the investigation. I tell him that what they were looking for were guns and they were found and since there is proof that it's my safe that they should give it back. He said they don't have to give it back and that unless I tell him where my brother is that I wont get it back.

I live in Connecticut, do they have the right to confiscate my safe and what ever is in it, regardless to whether I could prove it is mine and there was nothing illegal in it?