Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do people assume that the internet is a dangerous place to meet people?

It can be dangerous, but even someone you meet at a library or church can turn out to be a serial killer! Basically, you have to be careful everywhere, not just the internet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, you have to be careful everywhere you go, but the internet has the disadvantage of not being actually able to see someone with your own eyes. The person could be lying about their age or physical description or anything they want! The internet lends them anonymity so they can pretty much fabricate anything they like about themselves or where they live or what they want from you. At least when you're meeting someone at church or the library you can judge for yourself what 'impression' you get off them. Human intuition can be extremely reliable those situations; it's actually quite a powerful psychological tool, but it's much harder when you can't see or actually speak to a person and only communicate with words.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can meet dangerous people anywhere but on the net the you don't even know what the person looks like and that is a scary thought. Even if they sent you a pic you could never be sure that is the real person. If you met someone in person that you first met on the net then your friends and family probably wouldn't know what they looked like unless you took them along when you meet them. More people are more likely to lie on the net because you can't prove to much about them when you meet someone in person at the library, church, bars, or anywhere else you will be able to know a little more about if they are honest. They can't lie about their age to badly only by a few years but not as much as you can on the net. Besides the fact that meeting them on the net is newer than meeting them those other ways so when things are less known they are scarier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    because at church or the library you can actually see the person...on the internet your identity is sealed and you could be like a 50 year old petifile talking to at 12 year old girl. At church or the library, you could actually see what that person looked like. So its true that you have to be careful in other places, but you have to take different precautions over the internet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sure, anyone can be dangerous, but if you meet someone who lives close to you, you're more likely to have mutual friends or acquaintances. You have a way of knowing if that person really is who he says he is.

That nice girl your age that you IM'd with the other day might really be some perverted 45 year old man who's just trying to get closer to you.

Junior Member femmephyllocrania's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. Though it's easier for more people to get access to your information on the internet and it's also easier for kids to get themselves into dangerous situations without their parents finding out on the internet. I do think people need to be a little more careful online, but I agree that there is potential danger everywhere. I know several people who've dated online and three of my relatives actually met their spouses online, so it's not always bad. It's actually a very good thing for people who are shy or tend not to like the whole dating scene thing. I've met some of my best friends online. You just have to make sure you're careful about meeting. For instance, I never give out any information other than possibly an email address and I always meet in a town other than where I live (though of course it has to be close enough that I can get there) and I always meet in a public place during the day. Usually we go to a coffee shop or something silly like that. I also make sure someone I know is aware that I'm going and where I'll be and I keep my phone charged. Of course, even with precautions there is always a chance that something could happen, but that's the case whenever you meet a new person no matter how you do it. Basically you just need to be careful, use good judgment and hope for the best.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with you, you should exercise caution wherever you are. My friend met a fantastic guy over the internet, and he has literally been a life saver for her (She developed cancer after they got together, and if not for him, she would have lost her children and her business)