Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will adding Club Soda effect my algae problem?

I heard that CO2 will kill the Algae, I use organic Excel Flourish right now. I still have significant algae problems. I have oto's, amano shrimp, a pleco and a bunch of ghost shrimp but they haven't stopped the growth. Ive been doing water changes every 3 days more or less.

Downloads
    Uploads
    no but the carbonation will kill your fish and change the ph and alkalinity of your water. is your water high is phosphorus??? algae loves phosphorus and doing more h20 changes will mean more phosphorus!!! go to a good pet store OR order online , i think petsmart has it, phosphorus pads that go in your filter and neutralize the phosphorus. turn the light off in your tank for a few days and unless you have live plants just keep the light on for 4 hours per day (if you have live plants 12 hrs per day) until the algae clears up, cut back on feeding your fish the algae likes the extra food in the tank. btw shrimp and plecos only eat certain types of algae so if you don't have that kind in your tank it won't matter. flying foxes are better algae eaters they eat more of a variety.