Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Blondie

why does my tetra bite?

I have a community tropical tank, and everyone seems to get along nicely except for my tetras. i have 5 albino tetras and out of that 5 i have 1 that nips at the other tetras fins. the tank has heaps of hidy holes for the fish, but i cant seem to stop the nipping. what can i do to help the ones being nipped at.. do i need more than 5 of them to keep them happy and stop bitting??

steven c
    the nipper is more agressive and is tryin 2 assert its dominance

Matt P
    put a piece of duck tape over their mouths! that will show em!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always make another tank that is just for the problem fish. Don't forget to put a heater and filter in the tank.

I have have put some semi-aggressive round-tailed guppies in a 5 gallon tank with a zebra danio. I had no idea guppies and zebra danios were so aggressive.

Rereading see that it has long fins, you should keep it in a small tank by itself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i think thats normal... you could do a couple things... seperate him or return him to the pet store.... I cant remember if its normal or not for tetras but it might honestly be best to see if the petstore will take him back... either that or wait it out and keep an eye on him

TopPotts
    You didn't say what kind of tetras, and there are too many species and subs to know for sure. They do best when in schools of at least six, but if your tank is large enough, I'd recommend 10-12. They don't need hiding places, just lots of swimming room and some plants.
    The most common albino is the black skirt or black widow. I'd guess these are what you have. Although they may nip more than neons, they still aren't as bad as barbs. Unless you notice torn or missing fins, then don't worry about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    take them out and spank them. Maybe that biting is an affectionate thing in the fish world?? Who knows.

Flush the one biting maybe???