I am interested in purchasing a mixed puppy (will be my 2nd) and I am intentionally purchasing a mixed puppy, because I like the added character they have. I find that purebred breeders are a tad snobby (not all), the price they charge ridiculous, and quite frankly am put off by the incest of it all.

I've been trying to read up on why people are so against breeders who intentionally breed mixed pups, and all I see is people against puppymills (which are obviously bad) or people breeding dogs that don't know anything about breeding (again, not a good idea).

My current dog is a Bichon / Terrier mix & is amazing. We are looking for another similar dog. I have been looking into adoption through shelters and rescues, however they only have big dogs, which are too big for my apartment, or very old dogs. I understand that old dogs need homes too, but quite honestly, I'm not interested in adopting a pet only to be left with the vet bills of an old and/or dying dog. Which goes against another comment I keep hearing "back yard breeders overpopulate and their dogs end up in shelters" if this is the case, why can't I find any?

Since I can't find anything in the shelter, I am left with no other option (as puppymill dogs are not an option), than to go to a backyard breeder who takes good care of the dogs it breeds. That is unless anyone can intelligeably explain to me why I should not. You can tell me that you don't know what characteristics the dog will have, however if you do your research on each breed, you will know what characteristics they could have, and as for bitting (to which I've also read as an excuse) I believe that is in the owners court to train their dog to behave.

So please, I would like a serious answer for this. Of all I've read and researched I have not heard 1 good reason, except an underline theme that purebread breeders want to control the dogs that exist.

In addition, if anyone knows of a great breeder from any between Ottawa and Toronto who breed mixes of Bichon, Yorkie, Maltese etc please let me know.

Cheers.
Again, I have looked at Shelters and rescue operations within my city & all those around it. I need a small dog that does not shed - there are none, except for very old ones. So please don't write to tell me that I should go to a shelter. Do not tell me that I'm picky about the colour. I am picky about the size, because a large dog in an apartment is cruel, I am picky about shedding, because of health purposes, and I am picky on age, because of the above stated reasons. Again, I reiterate I'm looking to know what is so unreasonable about a mixed dog being intentionally bred. WHY do you think its cruel? What is the difference between a breeder breeding a purebred and a another breeder breeding a mixed dog. What makes you think that a mixed bred dog's parents were not tested?
Again, I must insist on details.
"no good breeder would breed mixed dogs" does not qualify as such. I find it hard to believe that EVERY person who breeds mixed dogs is irresponsible. I suppose it is just of matter of me feeling good about the people I purchase my dog from.