So I'll be living on my own soon (possibly a large apartment) and I want to get a dog as a companion. I want a family dog that will be affectionate and I won't have to worry about it being aggressive to my neices, but I do want a sturdy dog that can gaurd (When I say gaurd I know not like a police trained dog, but gaurd as in if a stranger goes into my backyard or enters my house the dog will be wary and bark and try to get them out and won't try to lick them and greet them as they break in). I will be working and going to college, but I will have plently time to spend and give attention to the dog since I work short evening shifts and all my classes are early in the morning, so my afternoons are always free to love on my buddy. Ive done research, but there's so many different breeds claimed to be good family dogs and good gaurd/protective dogs. So does anyone have a opinion on the type of breed I should consider? (Keep in mind, I don't like hyper-all-over-you-dogs or dogs that drool.)