A little background: my property extends back into some woods. I have put up a chain link fence to demarcate where my property begins, and have included a gate as a back entrance. One day, I was out in the woods with my dog (a husky, who was not on a leash, which I didn't think was necessary on my property) when I saw another dog (similar size to mine, but different breed) wandering around.
Long story short, this dog began acting aggressively and attempted to bite my dog, and she took self defense to the extreme and counter attacked. Let me make things clear: I have raised my dog since a puppy, she has never been abused. She has never shown signs of unstable, has always been extremely obedient. In this circumstance, through, she would not respond to my calls, and I had to physically separate her from the other dog, even after the other dog has clearly ceased fighting.

I later found out that this was my neighbor's dog who had dug under my gate and gotten onto my property. I also found out my dog had reacted extremely violently, severely injuring my neighbor's dog (who apparently would have been killed had I not intervened). My neighbor now plans on charging me. I wish to know if I am accountable for this, even though it happened on my property? Will I have to put my dog down? Please let me know your thoughts.