Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    gacc99

Mourning Dove in my Backyard!?

This dove built it's nest on this flimsy 5'4 tree growing inside my fence. Part of the nest is on the fence; other part in the flimsy tree. I'm afraid to go in my backyard with my cat cause everytime my cat goes near that part of the fence, the bird yelps and flies away. My cat is fat & old mind you, and can't get to it, nor does he try. Should I try and provide birdseed to it?? If so, how? How long is it gonna sit on her eggs?

I'm just a nervous wreck with this bird out there for some reason. Don't know why!?!?!!

Living In Korea
    You are nervous because you have a heart of a kind person who cares.

However your good intentions are, avoid going anywhere close to the nest. Should the female bird decide your cat is a direct threat to the eggs, she will probably attack your cat without mercy.

Above all, don't offer birdseed to it. Birdseed cannot be digested by newborn birds. The mother must first eat and partially digest the food, then regurgitate, thus feeding the baby birds already half-digested food.