Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    lone_lizard_13

kitty with bumps and hair loss :( PLEASE HELP! (mange??)?

i adopted a stray cat i found outside. i love him! i've never owned an inside cat so its an experience. when i first found him i found he had a small hairless patch on top of his paw and it had two little bumps. i figured he may have been in a fight since he was an out door cat. but the other day i noticed that the bumps had opened. they aren't bleeding badly but u can see that they are moist. he does not lick them all the time, just when he's grooming normally. also he is eating, sleeping and playing just fine. i dont know what it is. i think it MAY be mange im so sad. i dont normally take my animals to the vet (no angry emails) and they have all been healthy. one did have mange and we put motor oil on it and it cleared up and he was fine...but i dont know if that is bad for them or not. i was young when i did it. could it be mange?? if so how do i treat it without going to the vet??and how much does a first visit to vet costs so that i CAN take him??and what will they do for him?

p.s im 21, which means...ive never owned my own pet. and im mexican..we have a lot of old remedies that may or MAY not be to other peoples liking. my parents never took any of my pets to the vet and i was a CHILD so never had money to take them. sorry. we didn't have much money and when i would see a stray getting attacked by other dogs in the street i felt bad for it and would take it and feed it. so....sorry that we couldn't afford to take our pets. not everyone has that luxury...maybe i should have let all those animals that i took in die or wander alone in the streets for the dog pound (which is a KILL shelter). so stop judging!!!! asses. anyway ... i am older now and WANT TO TAKE PROPER CARE OF MY PETS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    youre lucky that the motor oil you put on your cat didnt poison him by entering the blood stream.
    TAKE THE CAT TO THE VET
    it will probably cost you $50 all together.

Ferengi of Doom
    u put motor oil on ur cats? also quit being cheap and not taking the cat to a vet, if ur going to keep him u should keep him healthy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    u put motor oil on ur cats? also quit being cheap and not taking the cat to a vet, if ur going to keep him u should keep him healthy.

punk_rawk_grrl
    "one did have mange and we put motor oil on it" - WTF??? Motor oil is TOXIC to cats and you applied to open wounds on its skin? How can you "love" pets when you treat them like this? And "I don't normally take my animals to the vet"? That's called being a RESPONSIBLE pet owner. You most definitely aren't so please find this cat another home - sad!

punk_rawk_grrl
    "one did have mange and we put motor oil on it" - WTF??? Motor oil is TOXIC to cats and you applied to open wounds on its skin? How can you "love" pets when you treat them like this? And "I don't normally take my animals to the vet"? That's called being a RESPONSIBLE pet owner. You most definitely aren't so please find this cat another home - sad!

silvercat2me
    don't panic! it sounds like a flea allergy. either use the drops or flea powder. if hes inside now all the time you can use a collar. put a little antibiotic on his paw if it will make YOU feel better lol.he will just lick it off. and it is allot safer than motor oil! animals have natural enzymes in their saliva that will heal any wounds in his paw far better too. so don't panic and keep him flea free and you will see an improvement .

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK...BRING HIM TO SEE A VET IMMEDIATLEY!!! PLEASE!

He might have feline acne or maybe even ringworms. As far as cost, it depends were you live and if it's a private practice or an organization like humane society. Every vet hospital has its intial consultation fee (the place i work for is $80) then depending on what is going on, test that need to be run and and type of prescription you might need.

THE BEST THING TO DO IT GO TO SEE A DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY!

You never know what it may be and it can possibly be a zoonotic disease (transmitted from human to pet or pet to human)