Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm confused. Eight Belles?

I do not watch horse races nor do I know much about horses, but I just heard what happened at the Kentucky Derby.

I don't understand why she needed to be euthanized. Was it because she would never run again and they thought it would be best to let her go [which is absolutely stupid in my opinion]? Or simply because the pain would be too much? It just doesn't make sense to me that an animal would be euthanized for two broken ankles. Why wouldn't she be able to recover?

Can someone please explain?

Downloads
    Uploads
    horses need to have all four legs to live... sometimes a horse just cant heal, as in the case of Barbaro. Eight Belles could have been hung up in a full body sling for a while, but that would be a miserable and painful life. She could have gotten laminitis or other long term problems. She was in so much pain, and couldn't stand, so the vets had no choice but to euthanize her. horses, unlike dogs and cats, can't lie around until they are healed.

partly cloudy
    horses must bear weight equally on all 4 legs. it is hard enough to save a horse with one broken leg let alone 2. she had no chance of recovery. the foot must carry weight to circulate the blood. otherwise a situation called founder will occur, which is fever of in the foot, and very painfull, that is what happened to barbaro in the end it was the founder that got him. . she would never have recovered. i am just sick about it.