Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you introduce a new kitten to an older cat?

My cat is 3 yo and I've found a stray kitten. I have to keep them seperate because they won't stop hissing and growling at each other. It's only been two days, but I'll have to take the kitten to the pound if they don't get along soon. Help!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Questions like this have been asked a few times, it is easily fixed if your cats fight......don't introduce them face to face, get two wash cloths, whipe them over each of your cats (mostly around the chin and face where the scent glands are), and then whipe the cloth over the opposite cat, this way each cat has the others scent on them, this gets them used to the smell of each other, as well as making them seem less threatening to each other, do this daily (two times a day would be better, but one would suffice) for two weeks, then introduce the cats on NEUTRAL territory; outside (if they dont go outside), at a friend or family memebers house (if they dont have cats) they should get along fine if you introduce them properly

Hope this helps, and good luck

Ps. make sure you use a fresh cloth each time, or use the same cloth for each cat each time

Downloads
    Uploads
    Introduce them slowly. Keep them apart for most of the day but then let them be around each other for a few hours a day. Gradually increase that time.

They probably won't get along at all for at least a week. And even after that they'll probably only barely tolerate each other. But eventually they will probalby learn to be friends.

I just did the same thing not that long ago. They still get into it every now and then but for the most part they're good friends. You just have to be patient and realize it takes a long time for cats to become friends with each other.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Introduce them slowly. Keep them apart for most of the day but then let them be around each other for a few hours a day. Gradually increase that time.

They probably won't get along at all for at least a week. And even after that they'll probably only barely tolerate each other. But eventually they will probalby learn to be friends.

I just did the same thing not that long ago. They still get into it every now and then but for the most part they're good friends. You just have to be patient and realize it takes a long time for cats to become friends with each other.