Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Lauren M

How can I get rid of my horses hay belly?

I have a 5 year old thoroughbred mare. Ever since we got her from a horse slaughter rescue center she has had a hay belly. Even when she was extremely underweight. A year later she is all filled in and muscled up, but she still has that hay belly! She eats 2 to 3 flakes of hay and a can of grain in the morning and late afternoon. She is worked 6 days a week (ridden) lunged maybe one out of the 6 days. I can't figure ot what can get rid of this. All of our horses get the same amount of hay unless the are big warmbloods or drafts, and most of the other thoroughbreds get the same amount of grain. She is turned out every day but in a dirt pasture. She is able to get grass outside of the fence but usually doesn't. Any help is appreciated!

She has been checked by the vet recently and is not over weight and she is ormed on a consistent basis.

4Kat4
    the way I found to get the best results is to start with some lunge work in side reins, say 5-10 mins each way.
    Depends on how fit your mare is. Start slow walk and trot then work up to longer time and more trot.
    Try to keep each way at the same times, this will reduce uneven muscle. It will bring up her belly and put it into her top line if done correctly.

All the best and good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had the same problem once and switched to grass hay for a while. It's much more messy, but should help. If you want to supplement some alfalfa pellets, thats cool, but if you want to continue the grains, I think grass is the way to go.

Good luck!