Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Guinea pig food - which is better?

What is better for my pets - guinea pig muesli mix or guinea pig pellets and why?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I feed mine just the pellets, but I supplemement their diet with lots of fruit and veggies!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    both are as good has each other. The pellets are compressed with all the goodness inside, same with the muesil, but its dried instead of compressed. I would still give them fresh veg like carrots and the off cuts from cabbage/greens, any off cuts of veg really, but dont give them lettuce, it gives them a stomach upset, and make sure you put out plenty of water.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For young piggies, under a year, look for a good quality pellet with alfalfa. After a year, the amount of alfalfa hay in the pellets should be reduced, as it's high in calcium and calories.

A plain timothy based pellet, supplemented with timothy hay, and fresh fruits and veggies, is your healthiest bet. Most guinea pig mixes contain a lot of "extras" that have a lot of fat and not a lot of nutritional value, which would best be replaced with dark leafy greens, oranges, and the like.

Remember that many guinea pellets have Vitamin C added, which like humans, guinea pigs can not manufacture, so they need in their diet.