Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ferals--Domestication or Stockholm Syndrome?

LOL I was thinking on this the other day. When you take in a feral and get it used to you as a way of taming them down, doesn't it seem awful close to what has been termed the Stockholm Syndrome (where the captives start to identify with their captors)?

Either way, the end result is the same--calm cats who are used to people (or certain people). It just seems like there's a certain amount of crossover in this. Sorta.

Julie B
    I don't agree at all. I doubt our little one would have lasted very long in the wild had we not caught her in a live trap. We have an over abundance of hungry coyotes, mountain lions and some bobcats and wolves. She is VERY spoiled. (Our grandchildren are 2000 miles away). She has her own kitty stroller and an entire Kitty enclosure from ground level to rooftop built along one whole side of our house where she can watch the birds and play with bugs and butterflies and all. She's a very happy cat--especially after we introduced a rescue kitten to her 2 years ago. They are best buddies. They go in and out of the house into their enclosure through a doggie door all day long. In the warmer months they choose to stay out 90% of the time. It's cool.

Julie B
    I don't agree at all. I doubt our little one would have lasted very long in the wild had we not caught her in a live trap. We have an over abundance of hungry coyotes, mountain lions and some bobcats and wolves. She is VERY spoiled. (Our grandchildren are 2000 miles away). She has her own kitty stroller and an entire Kitty enclosure from ground level to rooftop built along one whole side of our house where she can watch the birds and play with bugs and butterflies and all. She's a very happy cat--especially after we introduced a rescue kitten to her 2 years ago. They are best buddies. They go in and out of the house into their enclosure through a doggie door all day long. In the warmer months they choose to stay out 90% of the time. It's cool.

Downloads
    Uploads
    well i see what you mean, however...

truly feral cats never become truly domesticated cats. they are often mean or stand-offish and just not quite the same as regular house cats.

Is it fair to say its Stokholm-ish when you take an homless animal who fights to survive everyday and give them a warm home and food daily?

i donno...i'm just makin conversation here. )

Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL... a cat sympathizing with its captors... I think not. Seriously, I kinda see where you're coming from. Most ferals I've dealt with have actually seemed pretty grateful in the end.