Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dog targeting behavior...?

Okay, i saw this last night on the new "it's me or the dog." I'm a fan of positive/reward based training and i love most of her methods. I especially liked how she worked on the balcony (when the dog showed to be too reactive at the edge she moved him back until she could get solid "watch mes" without him reacting.)

But there is one thing that bothers me. When Victoria was working with the Boxer (Cooper?) in the yards, he was clearly targeting the other dogs on the walks. Yet she still gave him treats. Why would someone reward that behavior? Sure it stops him from lunging and true he's sitting/staying and occasionally looking at her, but he's still targeting the dogs and can easily revert to the aggression that is the main problem.

Wouldn't it be better in this situation to remove him or correct him in some way for the targeting behavior then get his focus back on you? When used correctly, couldn't correction break the targeting habit without making him fearful of other dogs? I personally don't believe that correction will remove the "warning" behavior and make him move right to the bite as this behavior is NOT a warning but a predatory gaze....

That's always been my main problem with reward based training with no corrections - trainers would reward a behavior like a sit/stay but the dog can still show the aggressive behavior like the targeting, ruffled fur, etc. How does that stop or cure aggression (other than keeping the dog under control?)
    FYI i consider "correction" to be anything from removing the dog from the situation to light leash pops.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thin kit was her who said "Aggression never goes away so you need to know how to control it."

Haven't watched that one yet though

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the best dog training systems available, please check out;

http://www.beginningdogtraining.com

JR

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the best dog training systems available, please check out;

http://www.beginningdogtraining.com

JR