Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Tammy C

Do you want to see what goes on in puppy mills?

For those of you who missed "Oprah" today,or want to learn more about puppy mills,click on this link,then come back and tell me what you think. Will you ever buy a puppy from a pet store,after seeing and reading what's in this link? Have you changed your mind about breeding your dog or cat,and will you now have them spayed or neutered?

http://www.dcr.net/~humane/Puppy_Mills2.html

rawr.clothing
    I missed it today,but luckily it comes on again at 1am here.

Those poor dogs. I've always adopted shelter dogs.

It's the right thing to do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I -- I -- wow. I've seen puppy mill stuff before, but the pictures and the stories always get to me. I'll never understand how people can be so cruel.

chelsea
    What is there to say?
    There are no words to describe this fully.

sicksicksick

Downloads
    Uploads
    I disagree with neutering at 6 months old. (See page 2 of this link: http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermH... it shows that there are more health risks than benefits if you neuter your dog before they are 1 year old.) I'm a little confused that people don't know how to control their dogs when they aren't fixed.

My dog is unneutered, and is living at the breeders currently (Long Story). However, He is the only dog that I can walk through females in high heat. One word from me, and he will ignore, and in fact, no longer shows ANY interest in them at all. Maybe it's because I trained him, and raised him, and know how to control him, but it just doesn't seem like it's that hard to control an unneutered dog (I'm only talking about neutering as I've never had a female dog, and am unexperienced on that topic). I guess it made it feel a little personal when she said that, because I do have great control over my dog, and it just doesn't seem like it's that hard to do- Am I wrong? (He's also a show dog currently, so I won't be fixing him (if I do) until his show career is over.)

Thumbs down away, but this is my position.

J T
    thats horrible. this has got to stop!

ozzy59
    I've got enough to be upset about so I'm not going to look at the site you gave.
    I set the timer so I could watch Oprah and did'nt make it home to and now I'm glad I did'nt get to watch that as well.
    I know what puppy mills are and the conditions most are in but around where I'm from there is only one pet shop and a pet supply store.Both sell puppies on occasion but only when local breeders bring them in. These puppies are sold with a health guarantee and the sellers name,address and ph. #. The buyer signs a contract to have the pup spayed/neutered and they are made aware of a clause in the contract that states the seller will at their discretion be making occasional in home visits to insure the pups are kept in good health and are not suffering any signs of abuse,bad health or neglect.The seller reserves the right to remove the pup at any time they deem it necessary to insure the welfare of the pup and if people refuse to sign the contrat they cannot buy.Those that do get a copy of the contract and the other copy goes to the seller.This contract also has a place where buyers heve to fill in the name and address of the vet the buyer plans to use and a phone number.
    The pet shop and supply store inflate the price of the pups to cover their overhead sure but it's basically a win/win situation all around.And under those circumstances I would buy a puppy from them.
    These breeders only do this because they have jobs and families and don't have the time to deal with the sale. On the paper that gives names and addresses their is an invitation to come view their kennel but it's by appointment only.
    I wish people everywhere would go to such lengths.
    It's unfortuneate but dogs are considered livestock but evan as such I don't know of many people who would purposely buy a sick animal and it's not right that people put them on the market.If it were a sick cow the farmer or cattle rancher would have h@ll to pay for selling it so why it's alright to sell dogs in poor condition is beyond me.

jeepactivities
    God bless you for trying to show America what happens at puppy mills.It is truly atroucios what is going on.I myself got a pug from that supposedly was a puppy mill as it were-surrendered because she couldn't breed any more-sometime later after a constant "heat" she had a emergency hysterectomy for$600-but she is so sweet and appreciate every day I have her.How humans can do this is so hard to understand--the almighty $! I myself have a problem with the local shelter that is only open 4 hours a week to adopt with background checks and fees of $100 to $150 per pet-I feel if they really cared-more hours-less fees.etc.-but they run an event every month and have free vounteers-even I wonder where is all the event$ going.I paid my neighbor involved in such-$50 gor a pup found in dump eating garbage before it went to shelter-$100 for said pug surrendered before it got to shelter. I do believe if people had access to cheaper nuetering it would get done more often.I pray you will continue in your efforts and explore more avenues.God Bless

suzyhomemaker
    My animals are all fixed, just had 2 small dogs fixed last month, and I have seen it. Although it is sad, I believe more attention should be placed on children in orphanages. Our society spends way too much time crying over animals, when there are babies and children that need help.