Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    God loves you

Did your dog ever have Lyme Disease???

I put Frontline on my dog on Wednesday. Friday, Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tues he was out in the woods. Tues he didn't like me touching his front left paw today (Wed) he hasn't really eatin anything and favors his paw. Sometimes he holds it in the air. His nose feels a little warm. I think he may have Lyme Disease. I wasn't sure how effective Frontline works. Please let me know what you think. The vet is closed and Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. If he is worse in the morning I think I will have to take him to the Animal Hospital.

BVC_asst
    What is making you believe he has Lymes?

His nose being warm means nothing. The only way to tell if your dog has a fever is by taking his temperature rectally.

As for him holding his paw up, have you check the pads to see if something isn't stuck in there since he goes out into the woods? He hasn't really eaten, but has he eaten? Is he lethargic? Does he vomit or have diarrhea?

Call the vet when they open and ask him to do a Snap4DX test if you are concerned about Lyme disease. That tests not only for heartworm, but other tick borne diseases, one being Lymes. If it comes back slightly positive, he'll do a C6 Lyme test to see exactly what degree of the disease the dog has (if he does). If the dog has a positive reading close to or over 30, he'll probably be put on medication.

Frontline is very effective in the prevention of fleas and ticks, it is what we recommend at our clinic.

Hope this helps and that he's feeling better soon.

jesssiiiiiicccaa
    Lyme disease is not cured by Frontline. I am not a dog, obviously, but I got Lyme disease. My dog did also. Both humans, dogs, cats, and any other animal that is treated for Lyme disease takes a pill. Some of what you're seeing could be symptoms. With Lyme, the symptoms can be very broad and it's hard to diagnose without a blood test.

myatuk
    Hi, it takes a while for Lyme to develop, the tick would have to be on the dog for 1-2 days and symptoms would not begin for another 3 days at the minimum. Frontline is usually very good and should have prevented any ticks from latching on, so I would look for something else.
    http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0043.htm
    I think he probably has a sprain or something in his pad, or even maybe a tear or abrasion? Have you pressed all over his pad to determine if that is causing the discomfort?
    You need to take his temperature to determine if he has a fever, touching his nose means nothing. Here is a link for that:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-take-your-dog-s-temperature/page1.aspx
    Good luck, I hope your dog is experiencing a minor injury. But if he does have a fever but is acting ok.... playing, eating well and keeping food and water down, no apparent swelling or redness, etc. then you can probably wait until Friday.