Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    laura l

Is it cruel to put a muzzle on my dog?

Once, when I took my dog to the park, it started to attack and bite smaller dogs. He is a male dalmatian. My family suggests that he wears a muzzle when he goes to the park. Is it cruel to make him wear one? Or is it better to not take him on walks, besides, we have a very large garden and we have other dogs for him to play with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now it is not cruel to put a muzzle on a dog if it bites

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually.. it all depends on HOW you treat your dog when he's on a muzzle. A lot of trainers will use muzzles with aggressive dogs because they need a way of controlling the dog (and preventing it from attacking other dogs). However... the goal is to get him off the muzzle and able to walk in the park in the presence of other smaller dogs without attacking or biting them.

Honestly for now the best advice is probably to either put him on the muzzle while on walks, or just to keep him in the backyard temporarily until you can find a trainer to teach your dog (and also help you) how to avoid situations where your dog may attack a smaller dog.

Adrian Y
    You only put a muzzle on your dog when your dog has problems like barking excessivley or anything to do with opening his mouth. Attacking and biting smaller dogs in the park is serious and you MUST put one on him if you take him out.

Im not sure if its a large enough garden cause its a dalmatian and they need lots of room.

??? Lauren ???
    It's good for dogs to go on walks other places than just gardens. If he does bite the other dogs, then I do suggest a muzzle or something else if there is anything.. or you could take him somewhere other dogs don't go but that might not be possible.
    Hope this helps

Downloads
    Uploads
    no it's not. if it bites, do it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    no it is not if your dog really needs it

chanchavash
    no because its better to have a dog that cant hurt than 1 that could end up kill someone!!

Junior Member firefighter_brat_94's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If your gonna go to the parks for your liability put a muzzle on your dog. It is not cruel...