Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

can a cat have a breed of kitten that they arent?

all my cats are your bog standard type of house cats, tabbys and normal black and white cats. ( dont no the breed names but im sure u no what i mean) then one of my cats had kittens it could of been with one of our other cats or there was this other cat that used to hang around that was a bit bigger and a bit fluffy but still looked like your normal cat.
    one of the kittens has grown now to be massive.. and very very fluffy. it looks a bit like a ragdoll... but is this possible, for a cat to have ragdoll kitten if it hasnt mated with a ragdoll?? or is my cat just bigger then normal. she really is big. bigger then a cocker spaniel id say x

ok not bigger i just looked at how big cocker spaniels are..probs about the same size

Junior Member MikeandMarilynNedeau's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    not completly but it would be part you know mixed breeds.Is the combination of mixed breeds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The kitten could have been born with a recessive gene. This could alter things like hair length, color, and size depending on the line of cats he/she was an offspring from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recessive_gene

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes - cats of any breed can interbreed - they are all cats.
    Burmilla cats are a mix of Burmese and Chinchilla.

Some pedigrees have other breeds bred into them on purpose to strengthen a particular look

Downloads
    Uploads
    Technically, yeah. If you get a pure breed cat and mix it with a different breed of a pure bread cat, you can get a whole new bread!

Your cat is just a mix, not a pure breed but a mut.

However, mutty ragdolls are just as good as any ragdoll! Best cat in the world, if you ask me!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Many years ago I had two tabby cats who mated before I had managed to get them spayed. They had three tabby kittens and one black and white one! No idea how, but the answer is definately yes because they were not in contact with any other cats. (I was keeping them in whilst waiting for them to be old enough to be spayed,!)

EDIT - I guess it could be in their genes, maybe one of their grand parents or great grand parents was a different breed. That would make sense.