Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Best filter for a Betta's 1-gallon tank (and other Betta questions)?

Please don't harass me about not having a tank big enough for my Betta, seeing as he's currently sick and in a hospital tank that I need a filter for. I've heard that sponge filters do the trick, but I'm not sure how strong they should be (I've heard not very strong at all, but I'm not sure exactly what this means). Also, does anyone have any preferences as to companies or types of filters other than the sponge filters that I might consider? I don't want anything that could hurt his fins or be too strong for the small amount of water and space, but I need something that could definitely keep his water clean and fight off the parasites.

Background on the illnesses (if this matters): My Delta Betta currently has fin rot and velvet (both, I'm almost certain, came from the store he was bought from). I've head copper sulphate is a good medication to treat the velvet, and I was wondering - would CopperSafe work well? Is it make of copper sulphate? And for the fin rot, I've been treating my Betta with BettaFix...is this a good solution?

I've already got my Betta blocked from the light in order to kill velvet parasites faster, but I don't have a heater because the tank is so small. Would this make a difference as to what filter I buy? Also, the main tank also lacks a heater - is this a mistake? Should I buy a heater for both tanks?

Sorry for all these extra questions, they're not mandatory to answer, but if you happen to know, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!

Downloads
    Uploads
    not sure about the filter stuff but i know that a betta does need a heater because they are tropical fish so if i were you i would get a heater for both tanks and keep it at a consistent 75 degrees.

hope this helps some! good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a tank that small, you are risking more stress on the fish due to water temp changes.

As far as a filter, forget it. Keep the water changed every day or 2. You can't really cycle a tank that size and the carbon in the filter will remove the meds from the water anyway.

You really need a heater in the tanks.