Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What should someone who's never had a smartphone know before getting one?

So, I'm one of the few people alive who hasn't had a smartphone...ever.
    Recently, I decided to get one since I feel like I'd get more utility out of it than my regular cell phone. For one, I won't have to lug around my laptop when I just want to check email...

I've pretty much already decided on the iPhone 5, and the timing works out well since my cell phone is off contract already.
    So I have some basic questions. Please add more info that you think would be relevant.

Do I need to purchase a text message plan in addition to the data plan? Or does the data plan allow me to text?
    I'm almost always somewhere that has WiFi. Does this mean I can buy the cheapest data plan the provider offers, and download apps / check emails / browse websites as much as I want as long as I'm connected to the WiFi?
    Does the smartphone automatically connect to the closest WiFi?
    Can the phone double as a music / audio player when I go running?
    Will the phone play audio files that aren't iTunes?

My computer isn't a Mac, will I be able to transfer stuff between the phone and computer?
    How much data should I get if I don't plan on accessing any websites/downloading stuff when not in the vicinity of WiFi?

I know these questions are pretty basic, but I've never had a smartphone before.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're asking these questions, it's unclear that you need will manage a smartphone. If you get an iPhone you will not be able to use microSD cards - these cards not only expand your memory but also protect it. IPhone memory is internal, so if it bricks, you're out. Depending on your carrier, you can get a 4 for free, or a cheap 4s, if you must have an iPhone. Reading this question it's apparent that you know next to nothing about iPhones, so I don't know why you'd zero in on the newest of them.

On Verizon, the new share anything comes with unlimited texts and limited data. Texting is grouped with voice, but since it's a smartphone you have to get everything. If you're almost always near a hotspot, I'd suggest skipping any smartphone and just getting an iPod Touch or a tablet and connect to wifi using that. On wifi devices, you'll be shown a list of all detectable routers whether you can connect to them or not.

Can the phone double as a music / audio player when I go running?"

Many basic phones have been doing this for years. With basic phones, you've got an advantage in that music (or other media) is saved to removable data cards - you don't need proprietary software to move your music back and forth. IPhones use both PC and Mac, but they generally only accept music TO the iPhone. ITunes will allow you to download music you've purchased on iTunes and only to an authorized computer. Many people download music directly to their iPods or iPhones assuming that they can copy easily from it, and then learning the unhappy truth when their hard drives seize up and all their music is on their iPhones and they've got no way to save it. On the bright side, iPods and iPhones take music in any number of formats from any number of sources, primarily unprotected MP3 files - ripped from CD's, downloaded from websites (legal and otherwise).

Again, if all you want is to play music and video, many basic phones will be fine, whilw an iPod Touch can handle email.