Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Synchronising with smartphone over USB (ActivSync)?

Is there a way to plug my smartphone in via USB and have YMail, Contacts and Calendar automatically synchronise....like using Outlook and ActivSync?

My smartphone already uses ActivSync to download Outlook mail, contacts and calendar via USB. I am no longer using Outlook, but am using Yahoo mail, contacts and calendar...so, the question is....can I somehow still plug in my smartphone and get synchronised mail, contacts and calendar, but from Yahoo, not Outlook?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello,

(ANS) No.1 As far as I am aware the problem with Microsofts ActiveSync software is that it will only work with supported devices. Meaning you need to check up with the makers of your Smartphone to see if they positively support the active sync software for the purposes of data sync between PC & phone.

No.2 Have a look through Microsofts own website too, they might list companies & products supported by active sync.

No.3 Active sync is designed to synchronize files between x2 devices i.e. PC or laptop and mobile devices like smartphone. But weather this specifically includes outlook or outlook express, windows address books i.e. contacts, calendering functions,etc is much less clear.

No.4 If you are using Outlook (not outlook express or windows mail) then yes! Outlook has always had a sync feature for specifically sync'ing mail, contacts & calendering between x2 devices. Why? because Outlook was designed with business & large corporate clients in mind since it was created.

No.5 Cannot comment on Ymail as I don't use this & have no knowledge of how its configured to work. If its just a straight forwards POP3 & SMTP mail service and it should be possible. Contact Yahoo to confirm this though.

No.6 USB 2.0 cable connections are the standard method for connecting mobile devices like phones, satnav's, MP3 players, cameras,etc. So that part is nothing to be concerned about. Its if Active sync supports your phone make & model thats most important.

Kind Regards Ivan

20 years of computing from DOS to Vista.