Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member omithechickengoddess's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it possible my smartphone was remotely hacked?

I was getting some weird restricted calls last night out of nowhere on my work phone. They called about 4-5 times before I finally decided to answer the phone (my fiance was out working and I thought since it was repeated calling and at that time his phone happened to be off for work that it might be him borrowing one from someone else.) When I answered it some weirdo I don't know was on the other end. It seemed like he was trying to figure out who I was so I just shot his questions right back at him and asked him why he was calling me when he hung up. I dismissed it as either a wrong number or as someone at my job using my number as a test number accidentally leaving my number in someone's phone (I work for a phone store and we're required to use our work provided phones to help test for issues, but we're not technicians...). When I woke up this morning and went to look at my phone, my bluetooth was turned on. I never use bluetooth so that raised a red flag. I went to turn it off and decided to go through my other settings, and found that my "show password as you're typing" option was selected, and that's supposed to be off too. I decided to go ahead and reset my entire phone as a precaution. Thankfully I don't have anything on my phone or use my phone for anything too personal (I don't have anything on their worth looking at, but as a precaution I immediately went to any account I had logged into in the past and changed all my passwords) but it kind of weirded me out a bit. Are these signs that someone was attempting to get my info? If so, what could they have possibly gotten off of it? If they were looking for dirty pictures or personal info they weren't going to find any (I'm not dumb enough to do stuff like that on my phone) or is it possible one of my phone's apps suddenly turned that stuff on? I haven't downloaded anything new recently but there have been some things updated. I've seen a few phones with downloaded viruses from the web but I haven't seen or heard of anything like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your phone is safe. To guarantee the safety of your phone, there are many anti-virus softwares for mobile devices you can get. Whatever it may be, which I doubt is no more than simple misunderstanding, you can find it with anti-virus software. If this is not the problem, take the sim card out of your phone and replace it. It is possible to remotely control someone's phone using the sim card. The thing with that however is that whoever would have done that, would have had to have contact with you phone's sim card.
    I hope this helps,
    Dan