Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member FireBirdMechanic21's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mechanic handheld code check computer where can i get one?

where can i get a cheap handheld computer to scan my cars codes for failed sensors thats cheap and about how much I cant get it the shop for testing cuz it wont start

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was gonna recommend a Snap On computer, but since you wanted a cheap one, go to your local auto parts store, Autozone, PepBoys, etc usually carry the basic models that will tell you the code. They sell models that are either brand specific (Ford, Mopar, GM) because they used enhanced codes specific to their vehicles. And they also sell general ODBII code readers.

What's nice with the Snap On models are they have all the descriptions built in so you don't have to look up the code on a separate booklet. And they work on all ODBII and up vehicles. Then again, these are more in the category of diagnostic machines anyway.

One thing to consider, how old is your car? If it's ODB1 or ODB1.5 it may not be the best investment. Those "oldschool" cars don't have very many codes. I remember bringing my 95 Suburban to my mechanic to diagnose a misfire. But since my Suburban is ODB1.5 it didn't even have a check engine light on due to the misfire, so none of my mechanics computers could pull any code out. So he had to do it the old fashion way. Doing a compression test and using a crayon on the exhaust manifolds.lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    i have seen them at advance auto parts or auto zone, most parts stores can order one. They will tell you the code but that is it the rest will still take brains to figure out.